Saturday, September 1, 2012

DIY Striped Bag




When I was shopping in a store, here in Savannah, I found a bag that was SO cute, but a little over priced. When I got home I set myself to work recreating that same bag.  It was about the size of a cosmetic case with a wide shiny stripe at the bottom and a gold zipper. I didn't have shiny paint, but I did have fabric paint (which is all I needed).


I cut my fabric 10 inches by 13 inches, accounting for a 12 inch zipper and 1/2 inch seam allowances.



Place your fabric right sides together and sew along the bottom edge, just one seam.


Measure 3 inches on both sides of the center seam and mark. Place a strip of tape down and paint between the tape strips, let it dry a minute and then take up the tape. Leave it for a few hours and then sew up the two sides, right sides together.  Turn out bag.

If you want a lining, do the same as before, but with no paint.  You don't have to turn the lining inside out, just slip it down into the bag. Put in a 12" zipper (following the zipper instructions) and then you have finished the bag!

If you don't like the size of this bag, you can play around with measurements, just match it up to your zipper.


Have fun playing around!

No comments:

Post a Comment